Each year, hurricane season storms cause costly damage to commercial properties. Wind damage is consistently the number one cause of storm-related damage, followed by water and flood damage. What’s more, significant damage can cause a business to be shut down resulting in lost revenue. Taking the time to properly ensure your property is protected is time well spent.
Here are some steps to protect your property:
1. Review property insurance policies.
2. Inspect and properly seal windows.
3. Reinforce overhead doors.
4. Check gutters and roof sealants.
5. Inspect wall systems and secure soffits.
6. Trim low hanging tree limbs.
7. Secure objects around the building that can be lifted by air such as trash cans, benches and temporary signs.
8. Prepare emergency supplies and first aid.
9. Back-up property records and files remotely.
Review and Asses
Even if your property was left unscathed, owners and property managers need to reflect on what was done well and what can be improved for future hurricane preparedness.